St. Peter & St. Paul
Catholic Primary School
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: 020 7253 0839
Mathematics at St Peter and St Paul
From September 2017, we are following the ‘Inspire Maths’ approach to teaching mathematics. This will be introduced and followed throughout the school and will become embedded practice across both KS1 and KS2 from year 1 to year 6
What is Inspire Maths?
• ‘Inspire Maths is built on the proven approach to teaching mathematics in Singapore, recognised globally as one of the most impactful ways to teach and learn mathematics.
• ‘Inspire Maths’ has been developed with leading UK educational experts and correlated to the new National Curriculum in England. It was selected by the Department for Education and NCETM for the national textbook research project with Mathematics Hubs
• The programme follows a concrete – pictorial – abstract approach which ensures deep understanding of mathematical concepts during individual lessons and over time.
• Carefully-designed spiral progression in the programme builds up knowledge over time, enabling all children to become confident mathematicians.
• Inspire maths guided sessions promote discussion and exploration, with a strong emphasis on mathematical language, speaking in full sentences, and reasoning (by children consistently being required to explain how they know).
• Inspire maths guided sessions include specific questions, which draw out children’s understanding and identify and misconceptions immediately. Examples of these questions include:
• How do you know?
• What do you know?
• What do you see?
• What is the relationship between…?
• Say it in a full sentence
• What if…
• Prove how you know
• Talk to me in fractions/measure/ shape properties (correct mathematics vocabulary)
• Is there another way?
• Use resources to explain your thinking
• Tell me about…
• Show me another way
• If you know that, what else do you know?
• What is the same and what is different?
• Can you be more specific?
• Does that always apply?
• What makes you think that?
• How does that fit in (with)
• What is happening?
• What is likely to happen?
• Inspire Maths is a high-quality textbook programme which can be used from Y1- Y6 and helps every child to try to achieve mathematics mastery. The pupil textbooks introduce concepts in a highly scaffolded way, helping children to make meaningful connections between mathematical ideas.
Each child records their learning in a practice book. The practice books reinforce the concepts that have been introduced and encourage extensive opportunities for independent practice. This builds fluency through frequent and varied practice leading towards mastery of concepts. Practice books include a variety of questions and word problems (including non-routine) for consolidation, and challenging questions
• The Teacher’s Guides provide a clear pathway to quickly identify gaps for immediate intervention and opportunities for further practice or enrichment.
How are children assessed in Inspire Maths?
• Comprehensive reviews provide consolidation after every two or three units
• Each child has an Inspire Assessment Book. These books support teachers to assess children’s mastery of concepts and create a record of individual progress.
• Inspire Maths provides a range of summative assessments that can be used after teaching 2-3 units, mid-term or termly.
• Children are also assessed against Age Related Expectations in Mathematics using our school tracking and assessment procedures, supported by Assertive Mentoring summative assessments.
How can parents support their children’s maths learning at home?
• Each unit in ‘Inspire Maths’ includes suggestions for how parents may support learning at home which will be shared with parents at the beginning of each unit.
• Class teachers will explore children’s maths practice books with parents during the termly parents meetings. This will include discussions about the methods that the children are learning and how to support children at home.
• Meetings/ workshops will take place annually for parents wishing to find out more information about the mathematics.
• Parents will receive an overview of the mathematics that their children will be learning that year, and how to support at home.
Where can I find out more about Inspire Maths?
More information can be found by logging on to the Oxford Owl website a: www.oxfordowl.co.uk
St. Peter & St Paul
Catholic Primary School
Monday to Friday
8.30am - 4.30pm